It seems that the South’s Best Small Town has been getting the latest of the wet weather but no worries, there are plenty of activities to stay dry in Aiken. So, get your rain boots on, brave the weather, and join us for 8 things to do in Aiken on a rainy day.
1. Aiken Center for the Arts – On a rainy day, find your muse! Get in touch with Aiken’s artistic side and browse year-round exhibits that feature artists from around the world as well as local and regional artists. Get creative with a class and paint, meet an artist, or visit the gallery store where local artisans offer their original works for sale. For other arts in the area, visit here.
2. Aiken Visitors Center and Train Museum – If it must rain, then take the train! The “Drive-A-Train” is an indoor display for children and adults alike to operate and drive. The incredible display is located on the first floor until the end of February 2019. The adventure at the Aiken Visitors Center and Train Museum continues to the second floor showcasing nine dioramas that depict the towns along the original South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company right of way.
3. Aiken Community Theatre – Enjoy a “feel-good”/comedy/mysterious play (depending on the showing) in the comfort of this beautiful theatre. The Aiken Community Theatre has become an expanding hub of the arts in Aiken with producing fine quality shows!
4. Aiken County Museum – Leave the rain outside, and dive into Aiken’s deep-rooted history at one of Aiken's famed “Winter Colony” cottages, the Aiken County Historical Museum, also known as “Banksia” after the Banksia Rose.
5. Shopping – Aiken has you covered so you can enjoy downtown shopping! Many of the stores have awnings making it easier to maneuver during rainy-days.
6. Dining – Indulge in some comfort food on a rainy day or a cup of java. Even better, a sip of fine brew or wine while watching the rain. There are many dining options and bars to choose from.
7. Dupont Planetarium – Educate yourself at the planetarium and catch one of the special effects shows to learn about the weather (no pun intended), night sky or a show that takes visitors back in time.
8. Special Events – Let us bring New Orleans to you, and join us on Friday, February 10th downtown Aiken for Mardi Gras or walk on the red carpet for the third annual Southern Film Festival on February 22-24, dates selected to coincide with OSCARS® Weekend. Aiken has plenty of things for you to do so check out our calendar for other events as well.
Aiken is the place to be – rain or shine! So, pack your umbrella next time you visit. Even in the rain, Aiken shows its southern charm and we have plenty of things to do!