The Center for African American History, Arts and Culture is housed in the historic Immanuel Institute Building, located on the corner of York and Richland streets. The Center preserves the legacy begun in 1881 by Rev. W. R. Coles, a Presbyterian missionary. From humble beginnings in a small six-room house Rev. Coles established The Immanuel Institute to educate African Americans. In 1889 he constructed this building to house the growing school.